Tuesday 31 December 2013

Drama: Master's Sun



I would like to put this out there: this is the best drama of 2013 in my opinion. I've watched a decent amount this year, and Master's Sun stood out for me even amongst powerhouses like School 2013 and I Hear Your Voice.

The combination of romance, supernatural, witty banters and crazy charismatic actors and actresses was right up my alley and I found myself devouring this drama episode after episode.

It was the kind of show where you're just completely sucked in such that certain flaws don't hit you till you think back and wonder: "what the actual.." The entire evil twin arc was quite jarring, and the revelation did not entirely match up to the flashbacks throughout the show. It got a little draggy towards the end with the entire "Taeyang finding herself" moments, which was understandable but executed quite poorly. I also found myself not investing any emotions into the back story, with the bad acting and strangely pieced plot.

Then again, I appreciated that they even briefly touched on certain issues, such as the entire plastic surgery obsession as a culture that hits people when they think that they are better than others. I also liked the more sappy and emotional moments when they talked about the various backstories of the ghosts, and the variety of people you can see in this world. They didn't paint the world in an overbearingly positive manner where everyone just lives happily ever after once they're touched by Taeyang (such as the gambler squandering his inheritance), and there was something realistic about that supernatural world. Joo Joong Won was also made real, allowing the viewers to understand that he did not revolve his entire life around his love interest even though it was the focus of the show. All that on top of the perfect OST.

The characters had phenomenal chemistry and I can't see anyone else but Gong Hyojin pulling off the role as the charming Taeyang we know without coming off as annoying. There are just too many moments of the show which cemented my love for it - the coffee ghost, the drunk Taeyang (cats and sexy french ladies, anyone?) and the adorable jealously of Joo Joong Won.



Overall, Master's Sun is charming and addictive from start to the end. They got me tearing, squealing and at the edge of my seat at all the various moments as intended, I was wrapped around their fingers completely. I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

"I just listened because I have earlobes."


No comments:

Post a Comment