Monday 2 June 2014

Music: Infinite - Last Romeo Album Review

The truth is I've been rather disappointed with the last three comebacks by members of Infinite, more so with the last two. I have been rather vocal about my disappointment with Toheart's project album, Destiny was subpar in my opinion, and while Man In Love is catchy and fun to watch, it wasn't their best as well and was carried only by Infinite's brand name. However, I have to say that I really enjoy this current album.

Going back to their typical girl-lusting and borderline creepy lyrics, and impeccable singing+dancing, I'm a huge fan of Season 2. Below, I will go through a couple of the tracks that stood out more for me.



Season 2
The introductory track of the album, and handsdown one of the nicest beats and sound in the album. It starts of with a simple piano tune before dropping some sick synths and comes off sounding fresh and modern. It also very well complemented their title track, transitioning very smoothly into the start of Last Romeo. Well thought out and encapsulates the album. Woollim always does amazing intro tracks, and I wish that Last Romeo had the more of the vibes that Season 2 gave.

Last Romeo
Infinite has always done best with "80's inspired". Last Romeo seems to be a nice nod to their public-favorites like Be Mine and The Chaser, while not appearing overdone. The first thought I had when I heard the song was how great it would sound live; and it sure did. As with all songs it showcases clearly the vocals of the members, even allowing some of their musically weaker members to play a larger role. I enjoy the song, and I personally enjoyed it as a title track.

I do have to add that I'm slightly iffy about the chorus' dance which strikes me as more feminine than strong; something that strikes me as rather unusual (as though adapting from Paradise's hip thrust to a feminine hip grind?). The MV, though well produced with great and non-awkward transitions from plot to dance, did not particularly strike me as exceptional as well and occasionally came off as cheesy (the hand reaching, and the /albeit beautiful/ dramatic paper dance with Woohyun).

Shower
Possibly one of my favorite songs and a potential great title track. It sounded like the American bands I grew up listening to; catchy, upbeat and with a repetitive refrain. One thing that I love about this arrangement is how seamless they transit from song to rap. Other K-Pop songs do have the general trend to "force" a rap sequence into an otherwise perfectly fine song, but the one in Shower was pleasantly short and comfortably fitted in. I might also be in love with Woohyun belting out "이따위 소나기" every few lines.

I'm Going Crazy (Infinite F)
This song ridiculously reminds me of past non-title tracks by Infinite. Is it a sped up version of 3분의1? Or is it a remake of Tic Toc? I can't shake away the familiarity of the track and how it gives me the vibe of a formulaic non-title track. However, the song is an upbeat pop song that can't necessarily go wrong, and it gives the chance for the remaining three members to shine musically with a song that's easier to execute.

Alone (Infinite H)
If you've read any few of the music posts I've made you'll know my absolute adoration for good Korean Hip Hop. I remember how shocked I was when I realised that one of my favourite hip-hop songs is by a duo from an idol pop band. While I don't see it as a particularly standout track for me, it is a kind of song that doesn't fail for me and I enjoy it immensely. I do feel that Hoya's vocals improved, and I personally appreciate Dongwoo's rapping more out of the duo. I can't wait for another album as exceptional as their first, and also for them to further hone their production and composition skills.



I am happy with this album with every song having a hint of growth and maturity on the side of the members while retaining a strong Infinite vibe. So little chosen from the 40 over songs produced for Last Romeo, I can't say that not enough effort went into the album. With this album, you see Woohyun's range as a vocalist beyond the typical powerhouse high notes he churns out with his solo "Close Your Eyes" that is a far more subdued ballad than anything else on the album, you see L reducing his "nasal" voice for the title track, you see Infinite F's results from producing various other songs and Hoya's overall improvement in rapping and singing.

The lives have been amazing thus far, and I can't wait to see more from them as a group - musically and as their dorky variety selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment