Tuesday 4 February 2014

Music: Gary (Leessang) - Mr Gae Album Review



I was very excited when news about his upcoming album came out. I didn't follow through with all the teasers, so I guess I can say that I didn't really know what to expect. Leessang had a very distinct sound, was Mr. Gae going to emulate and replicate his past success? How will it differ? How will he portray his musicality?

I loved him as a Running Man member (I mean that show pretty much painted him as every girl's dream man; devoted, honest and very humorous) and I loved him as Leessang's Gary (great great songs, and a great rapper with a very distinct, uncommon and very good style that's kind of chill and mellow in a really good way). So needless to say, I was pretty hyped up for it.



ZOTTO MOLA: I really liked this song. I loved the intro sounds that set the tone of the song, and I loved how the song really showcased all the positive notes in his rapping style - the kind that's slightly off-beat, relaxed and unenunciated. The lyrics are, too, well written as a mature and devoted take on love.

Shower Later: A lovely, soulful song with a really controversial and roll-eye-worthy music video. A favourite of mine, because it fits exactly into the mould of hip hop sound that I like. Crush's voice is melodic and fits right with Gary's rapping, I really enjoyed it. But the video... The video... I feel like the director completely misunderstood the lyrics of the song. Yes, sex, I get it. But the lyrics portrayed sex in a way when love and passion manifests into the physical world. Then the video? Full of redundant sexual innuendos. I don't mean to sound like a prude, but to me, sexy can swing completely another way.

Drunken Night Tune: I love the swing sounds, and this is very true to Leessang style with the featuring of Jungin. I love *to death* the manner in which she sings, and I feel like she pulled off this song perfectly.

MR. GAE: The final song is a rather large deviation from Leessang's usual style as it sounds much more street. But I liked that he ventured into alternative sounds and music techniques (dubstep and very strong bass) while still retaining a little of that jazzy sound.



I don't have much negative things to say about it apart from that horrible video which I side-eyed quite a bit. I do feel that even without Gil's vocals, Gary can still hold his ground as a solid rapper. I did feel that there isn't enough deviation to truly distinguish Gary as a solo project separate from Leessang. However that is quite a given considering that both Gary and Gil have a lot more creative control in their music, compared to idols whose solo projects typically vary drastically from their respective groups' sounds as they are usually fed the songs.

All in all, I really enjoyed his first solo album. His experience and musicality as one of the pioneer hip-hop groups who brought korean hip-hop into mainstream is definitely shown.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment