Saturday 15 March 2014

Music: Orange Caramel - Catallena



I was rather ambivalent, for the longest time, about Orange Caramel. Sure, they make great and catchy dance tracks and they're a strong and overwhelming whiff of frilly and nasally fresh air midst all the sexy pop music the industry rolls out. But at the same time they're music tends too much towards gimmicky/J-pop PONPONPON/theatrical for my liking, so I typically don't lend my ears more than a few times to their songs.

But, oh boy, do I like Catallena.

It might be the same off tangent concept with the same quirky and repetitive dance moves, but it got me. I find myself humming oye-hoi-hoi alongside their ridiculously adorable dance.



The music video was really well shot, as usual, capturing their quirkiness with the colors, outfits and obviously-fake-yet-very-well-made sets. The minimalistic backgrounds also gives a sense of surrealism and modernity which I really like. The song itself talks about the typical jealous-yet-still-adore frenemy but I like to hyperanalyse and say that the MV brings it a little, just very very slightly, deeper.

My interpretation after two watchings (with the first being absolutely puzzled) is that they are lower grade sushis who are completely jealous of the octopus (depicted with the polka dot outfits as s/he zooms past). Then they somehow got themselves, in a The Little Mermaid fashion, to become an octopus (when they sported very similar polka dotted outfits) and got a bite of their previous flesh. They realised they were just as good despite the lower pricing and tear about the past they lost. I also wanna talk about how I thought their concept, from just looking at the teaser image, was about how beauty isn't everything when even the elusive and beautiful mermaids gets their prices marked down due to a lack of substance. Maybe not.

I hope I'm just a little coherent.

Either way, it's a cute and addictive pop song with a well-made music video - Orange Caramel style.

No comments:

Post a Comment