Sunday 31 August 2014

TV: Midway Drama Review

I've been watching a lot of TV lately, so I decided to just pen down some of my thoughts regarding those that I'm still currently watching. I'm actually a little shocked at how many I'm juggling right now. 3/5 of the shows below are actually still airing so my thoughts on them may drastically change depending on the ending? We'll see.


It's Ok, That's Love
Currently at: Episode 12 and dying for the next

Gong Hyojin and Jo Insung?? I mean, what could go wrong. I am absolutely enamoured by this show, by the mish-mash of dysfunctional characters and their complex relationships. The theme of the show aims to shed light on mental illnesses and how it inflicts people; I would think it's a rather intriguing attempt to format it as a rom-com due to the severity of the topic, how it is often butchered in dramas and how rarely one surrounds a drama around it.

Insofar as I see, they've done a decent job in making it a light-hearted and attractive drama. While I would say that they might have potentially romanticised mental illnesses and it's severity (such as when it comes to recovery), and occasionally not giving satisfying enough conclusions or too flippant coverages to the various patients, it still has a rather special place in my heart. Might be too early to say, but I really enjoy the entire dynamics of the show. Overlooking the small little issues that critical little me brought up, thus far, it's a truly attractive drama with complex and unique characters.


Surplus Princess
Currently at: Episode 4

I was excited for this from the start and was pretty much ready to give it a good try just because Jo Boah was in it (she was a complete doll in 2014 movie Thorn). When the plot of the story first came out, I was almost certain that they might have gone for a sappy/cheesy love story with a plot that draws few resemblances to the original adaptation. But thank goodness it ended up being a funny, charming and light-hearted drama that I really enjoy. The acting's rather meh and there are some strange bits thrown in here and there, but it's also positively filled with nonsense plot lines, puns, references and parodies (my favourite thus far is the SNL GTA parody; perfect!!). It is an easy watch and I'm definitely curious on how the story will develop! The downside: only 1 episode per week.


Fated To Love You
Currently at: Episode 8

I'll start by saying that I don't love this, and I'm not really sure if I will. I guess the kind of plot did not attract me as much, the characters are not necessarily charming and it does come off a little bit cheesy for me. I do have a rather strong distaste for the weak+nice lady and pompous+rich guy combo. I also wonder if Jang Nara and Jang Hyuk(!) were miscasts due to the way they're portraying the individual characters and their chemistry, but I'll have to continue watching to find out.

I'm currently watching this on commute from home to university (thus explaining why I even picked it up in the first place) to keep me occupied for that duration. While I've been sounding rather negative, I don't by any means think it's a horrible drama. It's decent, but it simply did not hook me in any way and is not to my tastes. I'll probably still end up finishing though, and I wish to see their relationship blossom a bit more.


Keizoku 2: SPEC
Currently at: Episode 5

The only Japanese drama of the lot. I don't usually watch Japanese dramas, but this one caught my eye and I'm glad I got into it. A rather big franchise with orignals and movie spinoffs, so I'm quite curious where I'll go with this. It, in essence, is a detective drama with a comical genius and a deadpan guy solving crimes with supernatural elements in it. Two things I don't like as of now: how often they mention the err that is "90% of human's brain is untapped", and how in every episode they find the need to do the Cardcaptor-Sakura-detective-solving-paper-flying sequence.

Everything else, though, I really like! Rather interesting stories sandwiched between occasional laugh points, it's a pretty decent detective drama.


High School King Of Savvy
Stopped at at: Episode 10 (pending continuation)

I really wish to plough through the remaining episodes because the initial episodes were really charming and I really want to know how the plot will progress and how the show will wrap up.....but I'm finding it rather difficult as of now.

I know it's a really popular drama, but over time as the characters developed I started liking them lesser, and became rather turned off by the relationships in the show (I think the age gap had a rather big part to play). Jung Sooyoung, as hilarious and comical as she may be, started coming off rather annoying, and I found myself thinking along similar lines for Lee Minseok. I couldn't handle the relationship dynamics without feeling like throwing my mouse at my computer screen -- not a good sign. Which is really unfortunate, because I really wanted to like the drama with the recommendations from people around me and with how much I liked it initially, but I couldn't. So right now it's pending continuation, with a rather bleak future.

No comments:

Post a Comment