Saturday 9 August 2014

TV: Some Updates

I've been catching up on my media news by skimming through some of the hot entertainment news on Naver and here are some pertaining to upcoming screenings that caught my eye:


1. Gong Yoo on the big screen again!!!

Probably one of my biggest actor heartthrob; I can't wait to see him on the big screen. He'll be starring in a 18+ melo entitled 'Man and Woman' alongside experienced actress Jeon Doyeon. It'll be interesting as there aren't too many of this genre nowadays, and I think they'll have pretty great chemistry. I'm not gonna lie; searching for a good photo to place above definitely reignited my flame for him lol; he's one mighty charismatic man.


2. Miss Korea Jin, Kim Yumi, to debut on Korea's adaptation of Nodame Cantabile.

They probably dodged a big bullet with the Yoona/Shim Eunkyung swop, but now they have a new (potentially) questionable item in the mix. While I enamoured by Korea's tendency to call pretty girls that can't act actresses, I don't think it's fair to judge her without seeing her efforts. Her role's not massively big (first love of Chiaki), so as long as she does not ruin the flow of the drama it'll probably be fine. Honestly, I do not think that this remake will hit it big. It's one of the more successful anime and live actions not only in Japan but internationally, so I don't know how they are going to fill that majorly huge shoes.


3. Along the same line is Han Sunhwa in her first lead role.

Idols get a lot of flack for acting. For the opportunities that they get, they deprive another budding rookie actor and hence they get a massive load of expectations thrown onto them. On top of that, rarely you'll find one who meets that standard and gets publicly recognised (even ones that are pretty damn good like Jung Eunji gets her share of criticism). Well, to assess a little: Han Sunhwa was pretty alright in God's Gift since there wasn't too much screen time to establish her skills and it appeared to be rather similar to her actual character. She was slightly awkward in Marriage, Not Dating when it came to something rather out of her comfort zone, but still watchable. I don't know why they decided it'll be fine to plop her into her lead character when she's still struggling to be comfortable in front of the cameras, but let's hope she'll prove her worth.


4. The Big Bang Theory lead actors paid $1 million per episode; Friends-style.

Not Korea related, but it popped up on my feed so I decided to throw in my thoughts on it. I'll say this first, I've watched all the episodes since it first came out and I can't say that it isn't justified. As a whole, TBBT took awhile to gain momentum in the sitcom realm but eventually faltered in the more recent seasons. I felt that season 7 was amazing after the dreary past 4/5/6, with producers realising that a lot of the same plot lines cannot be continually reused and started switching up the dynamics of the show -- more outdoor shoots, more alternative couplings, less old/reused plot lines. That made me excited and geared up for season 8, and while they may never take the place Friends have in my heart, they do pretty well in their own rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment